[gptalk] Re: How big is your SYSVOL?

  • From: <bart.schillebeeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 10:46:16 +0200

Hi david, Jason,

I've explained in a previous post here. I don't let the ADM's replicate since
i'm the only one administering GPO's and i keep my ADM's correct locally.

        Best thing to do according to me is to

        *       "Turn off automatic updates of ADM files"  this will thus not
overwrite any sysvol adm templates with local versions.
        *       "When group policy is selecting a DC it should use PRIMARY
DOMAIN CONTROLLER"  this makes sure you always attach to your PDC role.
        *       Disable ADM in NTFRS replication by setting a filter on the
sysvol replication "*.adm" in the registry , this will exclude *.adm files from
replicating.
                here's the KB  to remove the ADM replication from sysvol .
                It's KB81338.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813338/en-us
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813338/en-us>

                You have thus a system that only allows ADM on the PDC , to
which you only connect to, your sysvol bloat is gone etc...

                 You now only need to maintain your local ADM files on your GPO
administration workstation to make sure they are the latest versions, of course
if you have multiple administrators you need to make sure they have the same
ADM's.

Oh yeah Don't change PDC roles , as you will have to re-assing all adm's again
(or copy them over first)

 Vriendelijke groeten,
Cordialement,
Kind Regards,
Schillebeeks Bart
Active Directory Security Consultant
Small and Departmental Systems - NT Systems Fortis Bank
Bart.schillebeeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AD Internet Consulting BVBA

Disclaimer:
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them
to be the views of any such entity.This Message is in no way legally binding
and has to be viewed as a personal opinion of the sender. This message reflects
in no way the views of FORTIS BANK and its associates and AD internet
Consulting BVBA and its associates. Unless otherwise stated, any pricing
information given in this message is indicative only, is subject to change and
does not constitute an offer to deal at any price quoted. Any reference to the
terms of executed transactions should be treated as preliminary only and
subject to our formal written confirmation.

AD Internet Consulting BVBA, Hezemeer 7, 2430 Eindhout-Laakdal ON:0470419019
www.adinternet.com mailto:Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx