[gptalk] Help with WMI Filter

  • From: "Salandra, Justin A." <jasalandra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:20:14 -0500

I am trying to create a WMI Filter so that only computers that match
this filter will apply the policy.

My thought process here is to query the OS Caption = Windows 2000
Professional, this way Windows XP and Windows 2003 computers will not
bother to apply the policy and since Windows 2000 computers ignore WMI
Filters anyway then it would only apply to those that I want it to apply
to.

When I try to create the WMI Script, when I click on save I get an error
message that says "a syntax error occurred trying to evaluate a query
string".

I have pasted the script below.  I created this script using a WMI Code
Creator that I downloaded off the Web.  Can anyone help?

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer &
"\root\CIMV2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _

    "SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Caption = 'Microsoft
Windows 2000 Professional'",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems

    Wscript.Echo "-----------------------------------"

    Wscript.Echo "Win32_OperatingSystem instance"

    Wscript.Echo "Caption: " & objItem.Caption

Next

Justin A. Salandra

MCSE Windows 2000 & 2003

Network and Technology Services Manager