[gptalk] Re: Having 1 central user to administer workstations

  • From: "Craig Meyer" <craigmeyer8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:59:57 +0200

Hi everyone

Thanks for the quick responses - the reason why i don't want to make his account a domain admin or even a admin is because we have a exchange server also and that will mean he can do and access stuff that is not meant for him. I ONLY want him to be a admin on the workstations when he logs in. Sorry i didn't mention this in my original post

Craig Meyer

"He had no servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet they called Him Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet the Kings feared Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he commited no crime yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives 2day....?

From: "joakim dahl" <joakim.dahl@xxxxxxxxx>
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gptalk] Re: Having 1 central user to administer workstations
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:59:56 +0200

Live Earth, The Concert for a Climate in Crisis, on the 7th of July 2007 Live Earth Concert or even better add a group called "IT Support Juniors" to the administrators group
and when the personell changes you just disable their account and add new accounts to the group
enough about this .....

On 6/15/07, razor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx < razor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Craig

Not too sure how security conscious you are about the whole thing, but why don't
you just make the account a member of the domain admins group? You wouldn't need to
worry about GPO's then..

You could use restricted groups via group policy, but there are a number of factors
to be considered - plenty of information on the net about this..

The other option is to create a batch file that will run at start-up via Group
Policy. Within the .bat file, include this line:

NET LOCALGROUP Administrators "DOMAIN\Username" /ADD

Hope this helps

Ray

On Fri Jun 15 11:18 , 'Craig Meyer' <craigmeyer8@xxxxxxxxxxx> sent:

>Hi all
>Please help me in my first post. I'm a newbie in GPO's so please don't scream at
me :-(
>I have created one user account called "Support". the reason for this is because
the junior technicians in my company came and goes and i want to create ONE account
so that they would be able to use the same account to work on all the workstations
in the network. This "Support" acccount i want to give admin rights when someone
logs onto the workstations so that they will be able to install, administrate the
workstations.
>I want to do this through a GPO please. In the meanwhile i have done the
following. I have created a GPO called "MakeJuniorTechAdminonWorkstations" (what a
name - haha) and i have created a New OU > called it "Support" and in that OU i
have created a user called "Support" which has normal domain user rights. Can some
one help me from here please to accomplish my task????Please?????
>Do i now right-click the "Support" OU and select "Create and link a GPO here" or
where from here - Thanks for the help everyone

>Craig Meyer
>
>"He had no servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet they called Him
Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet the Kings feared
Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he commited no crime
yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives 2day...."The Live
Earth concert on the 7th July 2007, with more than 150 top musicians Live Earth
Concert

with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the freelists.org Web
interface. Archives for the list are available at
//www.freelists.org/archives/gptalk/

Best regards Joakim Dahl
http://wize.spaces.msn.com
msn joakim.dahl@xxxxxxxxx / icq 1596678