[gptalk] Re: Group Policy to set local administrator password

  • From: "James Kagele" <james.kagele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 06:10:36 +0200

We used to do it with GPO's but realized the password was passing over the
network in the clear.  If the password is not encrypted anyone who has
access to gpresult can get to it.

On 6/28/07, MONTGOMERY, RONALD [AG/1000] <ronald.montgomery@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 We did it in an emergency once before we purchased a third party
management solution. We encrypted the script, which was better than not
trying at all.

 Jamie's right on about tightening the permissions on the GPO, but I think
the traffic that's passed over the network can be intercepted and read?

We had a target list of machines, so we filtered with a security group. We
also had a requirement to have unique passwords for each machine, so I used
a data dictionary in the script. I attached the script if you're interested.
It's pretty simple, sorry!

If your users have admin rights, all bets are off for policy processing on
all your machines. That was one reason why we went with a third party tool
with good reporting capabilities.

Hope this helps.

Ronald