[gptalk] Re: Group Policy Object Comparison

  • From: jfvanmeter@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:18:18 +0000

Here is what I do, there is a script that comes with GPMC
GetReportsForAllGPOs.wsf . I call it from the below script, the below script
creates a directory by date, then runs GetReportsForAllGPOs.wsf  which dumps a
report of the GP as a XML and a HTML file. I just run the script as a scheduled
task, then another script to call windiff and run it as another scheduled task
'separate the parts of the system date
        a = datepart("d",now)
        b = monthname(datepart("m",now),true)
        c = datepart("yyyy",now)
'reassemble them as this to get a filename
        d = a&b&c

Dim objFSO, objFolder, strDirectory
Dim StrCmdLine, StrDomain, StrReport_Dest, StrDateDir
Set objFolder = objFSO.CreateFolder("X:\GPOSettings\One\" &d)
strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" &
"{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

StrDateDir= d
StrDomain="mydomain.com"
StrReport_Dest= objFolder

Set oShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
oShell.CurrentDirectory = "C:\Program Files\GPMC\Scripts\"
StrCmdLine="cscript GetReportsForAllGPOs.wsf " & StrReport_Dest & " /domain:" &
StrDomain
oShell.Run StrCmdLine
strComputer = "."
'separate the parts of the system date
        a = datepart("d",now)
        b = monthname(datepart("m",now),true)
        c = datepart("yyyy",now)
'reassemble them as this to get a filename
        d = a&b&c
'set varaibles for yesterday date
        od = Day(Date-1)
        yd=od&b&c
set objFolder = objFSO.CreateFolder("E:\GPOSettings\One\DifferenceReports\" &d)
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" &
"{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colFiles = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from CIM_DataFile where
Extension = 'txt'")
Set objYD = objFSO.GetFolder("E:\GPOSettings\x\" &yd)
Set objD = objFSO.GetFolder("E:\GPOSettings\x\" &d)
Set objFP = objFSO.GetFolder("E:\windiff\")
set objDP = objFSO.GetFolder("E:\GPOSettings\x\DifferenceReports\" &d)
strFolder = objYD
strFolder1 = objD
DP=objDP

Set oShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
oShell.CurrentDirectory = strFolder1
Set objFile = objFSO.GetFile("X Domain Controllers Policy.html")
newfile = objFile

Set oShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
oShell.CurrentDirectory = strFolder
Set objFile = objFSO.GetFile("X Domain Controllers Policy.html")
oldfile = objFile

oShell.CurrentDirectory = objD
objFSO.MoveFile  "X Domain Controllers Policy.html",
"XDomainControllersPolicy.html"

oShell.CurrentDirectory = objYD
objFSO.MoveFile  "X Domain Controllers Policy.html",
"XOneDomainControllersPolicy.html"

Set oShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
oShell.CurrentDirectory = strFolder1
Set objFile = objFSO.GetFile("XDomainControllersPolicy.html")
newfile1 = objFile

Set oShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
oShell.CurrentDirectory = strFolder
Set objFil1 = objFSO.GetFile("XDomainControllersPolicy.html")
oldfile1 = objFile

set objShell = createobject("Wscript.Shell")
oShell.CurrentDirectory = objFP
StrCmd="E:\windiff\windiff.exe"
StrOpt="-Sx  X_DC_Diff.txt"
StrCmdLine= StrCmd & " " & StrOpt & " "& oldfile1 & " " & newfile1
msgbox StrCmdLine
objShell.Run StrCmdLine

its worked ok so far.... --John

From: "Nelson, Jamie R Contr 72 CS/SCBAF" <Jamie.Nelson.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> GPOVault did the trick. Didn't realize it had that functionality in the
> free version. Thanks Darren.
>

> Regards,
>
> Jamie Nelson

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.This Message is in no way legally binding and has to be viewed as a personal opinion of the sender. This message reflects in no way the views of FORTIS BANK and its associates and AD internet Consulting BVBA and its associates. Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to deal at any price quoted. Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.

AD Internet Consulting BVBA, Hezemeer 7, 2430 Eindhout-Laakdal ON:0470419019 www.adinternet.com mailto:Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Desktopstandard had this in their free version of GPO Vault but its not available for free anymore. I’ve heard this so often that maybe I will try and write something!

Darren

I think this has been asked before but I searched the archives and didn’t find anything. Is there a tool or process I can use to look at two different GPOs and show me the differences between the two? Preferably in a nice little report similar to what GPMC produces?

Regards,

Jamie Nelson

--- End Message ---