[gptalk] Re: GPO not getting distributed?

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 07:41:40 +1100

Hi Dustin,

Welcome to the world of Group Policy Management! It will both amaze and
frustrate you!

It does sound that you have a dodgy version of wuau.adm. Try opening the
file using Notepad and see if it is a readable text file. Also open another
one and see if it is a similar style.

Having said that, ADM files play no part in applying policies. They are only
used by GPMC when viewing Admin Template settings. Basically GPMC reads the
Registry.Pol file (which contains all of the settings) and uses the ADM file
to display it in a meaningful way.

To fix that problem I think if you replace it with a correct version. You
should be able to go to
-AD4A-BBF3802A5C9B&displaylang=en> &displaylang=en to get it.

So, what is your real problem? Distribution of the GPO's is usually not a
problem; it is more likely to be the application of the policy. You could
try explaining exactly what is going wrong, or else you could dive in
yourself and try to analyze the UserEnv.log that is written when processing
Group Policy. The former is probably quicker but the latter is more fun and
you will learn more!  Unfortunately the log is a bit hard to read, but I
have a free program that you can download and use (see below) . The first
thing you have to do is activate logging (the program gives you a button to
do this) then reboot the machine and view the log via my program. It shows
all of the steps involved in Group Policy processing and may highlight the
problem. You can always post the log up here and we can check it out for

Best of luck

Ps. You can also go to Darren's web site which has a lot of resources on
Group Policies, but you probably know that already since you are in this
News group. www.gpoguy.com <http://www.gpoguy.com/>

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-

ADM Template Editor:-