[gptalk] Re: GPO applicability when not connected to a network/domain

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:41:30 -0800

Shane-

Thanks for joining the list. Unfortunately, I don't have good news for you.
Policy is not applied if a computer is not in contact with a DC. So, there
is no way (other than Windows Firewall profiles) to have conditional
policies in effect based on being on or off the network. Even mucking with
the local GPO won't work for domain joined PCs because if those PCs are not
in contact with a DC, they simply ignore any changes you try to make to the
local GPO (to preserve domain precedence).

Sorry about that. One thing you can probably do is write a script that
enables and disables the proxy and put a shortcut to it on their desktop,
with instructions to use it when they are at home. I've done that sort of
thing in the past and, while not elegant, works.

Darren