[gptalk] Re: GPO WMI/WQL Filter

  • From: Jerry Abouelnasr <jerryabouelnasr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:10:38 -0700

I saw that site & that query. It doesn't "universally" work, as some others have noted. Some Dell laptops return FormFactor 8, as do desktops. I personally saw this to be the case on a couple of Dell laptop models.

The nomenclature method you helped me with will need to do.

Thx/J

On Oct 23, 2008, at 5:15 PM, "Nelson, Jamie" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

If you’re using a character class like that, then yes, it is case se nsitive.

Since you’re writing filters to check whether a machine is a laptop or desktop, you might take a look at list member Jakob Heidelberg’s blog about the perfect WMI filter for this. He recently had a contes t to see who could come up with one and the winner took home a copy of SDM Software’s GPExpert Troubleshooting Pak.

Here’s Jakob’s blog: http://heidelbergit.blogspot.com/2008/02/wmi-filter-contest-are-you-knight-in. html

The winner ended up being this, which doesn’t depend on the computer name:

(Laptop) SELECT * FROM Win32_PhysicalMemory WHERE FormFactor = 12

(Desktop) SELECT * FROM Win32_PhysicalMemory WHERE FormFactor != 12

Regards,

Jamie Nelson | Operations Consultant | BI&T Infrastructure-Intel | Devon Energy Corporation | Work: 405.552.8054 | Mobile: 405.200.8088 | http://www.dvn.com