[gptalk] Re: GPO Question

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R Contr 72 CS/SCBAF" <Jamie.Nelson.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:32:36 -0500

Policy keys usually reside in HKLM or HKCU under Software\Policies or
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies. Anything that an
administrative template (.adm) configures outside of these areas are
referred to as preferences because they won't be "undone" when you
simply unlink the GPO that originally configured them. This is what we
all lovingly refer to as "tattooing" something in the registry.

Security policy works the same way in that to "undo" something you
actually have to enforce the opposite setting.

Regards,
Jamie Nelson