[gptalk] Re: GPO Newgirl!

  • From: "Henry Botha" <henryb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:32:39 +0200

Hi Katy

I’m not sure, but I don’t think that you can configure Outlook settings through
GPO’s, but here goes for your Proxy and Desktop settings:

For a start you will want to install GPMC, it provides an easier view to Group
policies. You cannot compile a new GPO with it, but from there you will be able
to link existing gpo’s to you company OU’s.

1.)    Download and install the GPMC .

2.)    Run mmc and add the Group Policy Management snap-in.

3.)     Browse to your forest, domains and select the level that you want to
apply the GPO to. (Typically you will have servers and user machines in
different OU’s so that you can apply GPO’s independently. )

4.)    Right click the level you want to apply the GPO to and select  “Create
and link a new gpo here”.

5.)    Select a name for your new GPO for ex. Internet access.

6.)    Right-click and edit the newly created GPO

7.)    This will launch gpedit.msc and you can browse to the settings I will
specify below.

8.)    Change the settings according to your requirements.

9.)    There is no saving the GPO, once a setting has been changed, it will be
saved on the domain controller.

Internet settings:

                User configuration  -  Windows settings  -  Internet explorer
maintenance  - connection  -  proxy settings

                User configuration  -  Administrative templates  -  desktop.

Try to keep the amount of settings down to a minimum for one GPO, don’t add all
settings to one GPO as this will make it difficult to troubleshoot later.

The GPO’s should update every 30mins, but you can force the update on a client
machine(testing) for Windows XP: gpupdate /force

                                              Windows 2000: secedit
/refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce

Secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy /enforce

Also, logging onto the machine or rebooting will force a policy update.

To check the policies that are being applied on a user’s machine do a gpresult.

Thank you

Henry  Botha

Onsite Systems Engineer for  Digital Mall

Integr8 IT (Pty) Ltd

Fax: 0866378012