[gptalk] Re: GPO Implementation Methodology

  • From: <bart.schillebeeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:03:35 +0200

Hi guy's,

I use a "No override, No exception" strategy on our entire Park. I have
a split machine/user gpo strategy as well.

Basically i have an GPO specific for each OU  ( systems --> servers
--type of server,  systems --> workstations ---> desktops, users -->
department --> type)   etc..
The windows system security is placed in Type specific GPO's that are
placed in the lowest OU ( ALways winning application settings) .

For All other settings (adm templates) the settings is placed in the gpo
respective to the scope or split between the setting. (sounds difficult
i know).

I manage a 3 Tier network ( lab, QA, Production)  with in each forest 7
domains, with about 65.000 workstations and 6000 servers in total.
I have around 35 GPO's per domain (most of them are identical, but times
7 *3 = 21*35 = 735 GPO's )

Basic trick is to standardize as much as possible and not to create
exceptions. when adapting gpo's i only have to import a lot :-)

This system works very well , and i rarely have errors or
troubleshooting to do. Very important is to manage your OU structure
based on your GPO/AD needs, and not the other way around !!!

Vriendelijke groeten,
Cordialement,
Kind Regards,

Schillebeeks Bart
Active Directory Security Consultant
Small and Departmental Systems - NT Systems Fortis Bank
Bart.schillebeeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AD Internet Consulting BVBA

Disclaimer:
except where the  message states otherwise and the sender is authorised
to state them to be the views of any  such entity.This Message is in no
way legally binding and has to be viewed as a personal  opinion of the
sender. This message reflects in no way the views of FORTIS BANK and its
associates and AD internet Consulting BVBA and its  associates. Unless
otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer
to deal at any price  quoted. Any reference to the terms of executed
transactions should be treated as preliminary  only and subject to our
formal written confirmation.

AD Internet Consulting BVBA, Geelsebaan 109c, 3980 Tessenderlo,
ON:0470419019  www.adinternet.com  mailto:Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx