[gptalk] Re: GPMC and PowerShell CMDLETS

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:42:34 -0700

Interestingly enough, PowerShell v1, the current version, does not support
remoting. Its up to specific cmdlets to support calls against remote
systems. V2, which is coming in Windows 7 and 2008, R2, will support
remoting natively via Win-RM. What that means today is that a cmdlet that
you are using needs to be built to handle remote computer name params. For
example, all of my GPMC cmdlets and my GP refresh Cmdlet do that inherent to
their design, but the get-process or get-service cmdlets that MS provides in
the box do not support that. Instead you would have to use the get-wmiobject
cmdlet's inherent remoting ability to get at process or service information.

HTH,

Darren