[gptalk] GPMC PC hanging w/error

  • From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 14:09:08 -0500

Thanks Steve,
The PC is Xpsp2.  I am rebuilding one now.  If RDP is corrupting the
GPMC driver does it make sense that it happened on two different
machines with-in a short period of time? I'm wondering now if it is some
patch that got installed.  When someone needs the console and someone
else is logged into it; we send an email asking them to log out when
they're done, so the one logon rule is being followed.
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll report back if it works.

Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 12:28:18 -0400
From: Steven <usersend@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gptalk] Re: GPMC PC hanging w/error

The fact that you moved to a different machine and the problem
eventually makes me think that the problem is not at the workstation but
rather on the focused DC. However, I did run into this problem once
but error message was slight different. My problem was that the drivers
the GPMC (SP1) where being corrupted by an RDP session. I never found an
explanation for this but I rebuilt the PC and the problem never showed

Also, you mentioned that the machine where you are storing your ADM's
remoted into. Was this a WinXP or server? If it was XP, there is only
logon of RDP allowed. So, when you logged onto the console that should
gracefully log off the other user. if this is the case, is is possible
the other user was/is not being logged off correctly (ie. not releasing
registry hive)?

If this is a server, are you running Terminal Services or just using RDP
management? Could you post a log entry or two? preferably from System
Application? Thanks.

I have been having a problem with the PCs that I install the GPMCsp1
onto.  We keep one PC for the console so that all policy settings come
from the same place.  At first I thought that the error I was getting
was due to the fact that I was using a Dell GX270 PC with a capacitor
problem on the motherboard.  The board was replaced and I went for a
week or so before I got the error again.  "Error connecting to existing
session for UserID (Id0) a device attached to the system is not

I then installed the GPMCsp1 and transferred all my ADMs to an HP D530.
That was about a week and a half ago.  I just got the error message
again.  This error usually occurs when someone is remoted into the PC;
it freezes up.   The only way to get the PC workable is to hard boot it.
A few weeks ago this caused corruption because a GPO was open for
editing at the time.  I looked at the MS site to see if there was a new
version of GPMC and found none, our servers have recently been updated
to Windows2003sp2.  Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is
happening? Is there a GPMC sp2 and I'm just not seeing it?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mary Collingwood
We Energies - IT Services
Client Device Integration