[gptalk] GP Preferences / Vista / Printers / UAC

  • From: "James F. Prudente" <JPrudente@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 12:56:52 -0400

Hi All,

For our Vista clients, we have UAC turned off, and users have all
necessary rights to install printer drivers from our print server. Users
can add printers without any problems either via directly accessing the
UNC share, browsing the server, or using the windows printer management
web page. Login scripts (vbscript) also will install the printer without
any trouble.

However, if we use GP Preferences to install certain printers at login,
the machine will hang up (seemingly indefinitely) while "applying group
policy printer settings." I'm guessing UAC is looking for the OK to
install the driver and obviously can't get a response from the user. If
the driver is already on the machine, the printer connection will get
created as it should, without any delay.

If the printer driver were not Vista compatible, users should not be
able to install it under any circumstances. Likewise, if UAC settings
are wrong, it should balk when attempting to install the driver
regardless of the method. Not sure why this would happen.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
James