[gptalk] Re: GP MSI Software Priority

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:39:12 -0700

Minesh-

There used to be a free tool called ASSM that let you re-order packages
within a GPO but I haven't seen it in a while. The bottom line is that you
really have no control over the package order through the normal UI-its not
controlled by timestamp but rather just ordered by GUID within AD. So, what
I usually tell people who want to control install order is to put their
packages into separate GPOs. It sounds like a lot of work but its probably
not too bad unless you have a lot of packages to manage.

Darren