[gptalk] Re: Forbid IE 8.0 Installation...

  • From: Mathieu CHATEAU <gollum123@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Deepu <yoursfren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:14:33 +0200

I don't think this can be done trough gpo, and certainly not the "clean
way".
Anyway, as they are admin, they can ALWAYS defect your GPO with
knowledge or tools like "killGPO.exe"

Everytime i heard "business requirement to leave them admin", i could
defect this. Bad software needs bad right, that can be circumvented by
settings custom rights (registry/files). Find them with process monitor.

Until they are admin, IE8 should be your last concerns... Just my 2 cents..

Some "dirty" workaround:

    * Create the internet Explorer 8 folder in program files, and deny
      access to users and system. So they won't be able to install by
      default (may be pushed through GPO: Security\File System)
    * Use the IEAK 8 (beta as IE), to set bad proxy or other
      "scriptkiddies stuff" to make IE8 not usable by default
    * Use your inventory software to find IE8 and uninstall it automatically

Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU
french blog: http://www.lotp.fr
english blog: http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com