[gptalk] Re: Folder redirection

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:12:08 -0700

Mary,

I am a bit confused:

If you are using roaming profiles that each time the user logs on the
profile is copied from the server profile location to the local hard drive
c:\documents and settings\%username% or something like that. The main issue
with a roaming profile is that if the profile grows large- the log in and
log out time increases- this also becomes an issue with laptop users who
take their machine home- on standby while logged in- Their profile changes
are not saved to the server and unless you are also- configuring an offline
file sync to the my docs- they will have some issues. So I would recommend
roaming profiles for desktop workstations only- or not at all and redirect
the my docs and desktop folders using a GPO.

Within a GPO you can configure both the redirection of the desktop and the
My documents folder- which I have done many times- There are a few more
folders that can be redirected I think.

When dealing with Roaming profiles and the size issues there are a few
things I would recommend:

1. Redirect the desktop as you are asking to do (many users store data on
the desktop and that causes a roaming profile to grow quick)
2. Redirect the My Documents folder (as this is the default folder for
storing data)
3. Configure your IE settings through the GPO to dump/empty the temporary
internet files upon exiting the browser.
4. If you are utilizing Outlook for the e-mail client- I would also
recommend using a custom installation or custom maintenance wizard to
pre-configure the default location of any PST files to a server share (but
this may get hairy if you are using E2k/e2k3 and O2k3 with cached mode
enabled)

let me know if you have any questions or cannot figure out the desktop
redirection.

Omar

  _____