[gptalk] Re: FW: Change name of registry key

  • From: hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 18:48:12 +0000

Like I already said, vbscript is the only way to set variable's and write it
with regwrite to the registry on startup. ADM templates will not do the job. I
also wonder why you want to hardcode the terminal license server as it uses the
discovery process to discover the license server on the LAN. The only way I can
think of is if you have your license server behind a firewall or in the dmz
wich would in both ways a non logical decission.

regards,
hans straat
ceo www.datacrash.net

Subject: [gptalk] Re: FW: Change name of registry keyDate: Fri, 30 Mar 2007
08:16:18 -0500From: Jamie.Nelson.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, VBScript would be the best way to do this. Just pass a parameter to the
script so that you don’t have to hard code it in every time. Then all you have
to do is copy the GPO and change the parameter that is passed.

//signed//Jamie R NelsonSystems EngineerIngenium Corporation72
CS/SCBNF405.739.2811 (DSN 339)

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Auld ColinSent: Friday, March 30, 2007 6:26 AMTo:
'gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'Subject: [gptalk] Re: FW: Change name of registry key

It's not really dynamic, but could you use an environment variable / startup
script to define the licence server name in the key?
e.g. set LICSRV via TS startup script then set ADM to write key as

KEYNAME
"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters\LicenseServers\%LICSRV%"

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Darren Mar-EliaSent: 30 March 2007 04:24To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: FW: Change name of registry key
This has been asked before and I know of no way to change key names using ADM
syntax. Perhaps some of the brighter ADM folks on this list have an idea.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Tony Murray [HIQ]Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:29 PMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] FW: Change name of registry key

Hi all

Any thoughts on the question below?

Thanks
Tony

From: <Name removed to protect the innocent> Sent: Friday, 30 March 2007
12:59To: Tony MurraySubject: gpo

Hi Tony, as discussed, I would like GP to create a registry key and to have the
ability to change the name of the key...This way we can just copy the policy
and enter the new license server if a new customer or the license server needs
to be changed for DR..etc

Unfortunately W2K3 uses keys as opposed to reg_sz values that W2K uses for
specifying license servers.

I haven't been able to find a way to get GP to allow me to dynamically change a
key name in the same way that you can a value.

Example below...server name needs to be dynamic...hope this makes
sense....thanks

CLASS MACHINE

CATEGORY
"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters\LicenseServers\WN0NTLICTS01"KEYNAME

"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters\LicenseServers\WN0NTLICTS01"

END CATEGORY

This email or attachment(s) may contain confidential or legally privileged
information intended for the sole use of the addressee(s). Any use,
redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this message, except as
intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the
sender and remove all copies of the message, including any attachments. Any
views or opinions expressed in this email (unless otherwise stated) may not
represent those of HealthIntelligence (HIQ Ltd).
http://www.healthintelligence.org.nz
(1H_S1)  No Viruses were detected in this message.

  HealthIntelligence eMail Filter Service
|* This e-mail, and any attachments, is confidential and for the use of the
addressee only.
|* If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone +44 (0) 1506 408700

|* We do not accept legal responsibility for this e-mail or any viruses.

|* All e-mails sent and received by us are monitored.

|* Contracts cannot be concluded with us by e-mail.

|* This message has been sent from a member of the British Energy Group (the
"Group").

|* The parent company of the Group is British Energy Group plc, a company
registered in Scotland, registered number 270184, and having its registered
office at