[gptalk] Re: Disable IE Automatically Detect Settings

  • From: "Shane Williford" <shane.williford@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:40:00 -0500

OK...this is actually a bit tricky. I actually just went through this at my
organization a few weeks back and did EXTENSIVE search on that dumb setting.
Now, if you want to DISABLE that setting, it isn't too hard to find the reg key
for that, but if you want to keep in enabled (i.e. NOT grayed out) and just
unchecked, it's a long reg key with 1 hex number being modified...

the following reg key will UNCHECK the setting you want and keep it enabled:

Go to -> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Connections]
"DefaultConnectionSettings"=hex:3c,00,00,00,1f,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,
 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,1f,00,00,00,68,74,74,70,3a,2f,2f,31,
 34,34,2e,31,33,31,2e,32,32,32,2e,31,36,37,2f,77,70,61,64,2e,64,61,74,90,0e,
 1e,66,d3,88,c5,01,01,00,00,00,8d,a8,4e,9e,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

I believe if you change the hex placement I've bolded out to a 9, that will
check it. You can look on your PC at the value (if the setting is checked on
your PC; by default it is) and see what it is.

To DISABLE this setting, use the following:

Go to -> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Control Panel\Autoconfig]
Set the DWORD value to 1 to disable the setting.

Shane