[gptalk] Difficulty applying policies

  • From: "Paul Manley" <paul.manley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:37:55 -0700

Simplified Scenario:  Executives can't remember their difficult passwords.
So we are going to let them use smaller non-complex passwords.

Let us assume that this morning I setup Active Directory on a Windows 2003
server with SP1, but no other updates and created a few users.
I've installed the Group Policy Management snap-in and created a new Group
Policy Object ( under the Group Policy Objects folder of our domain ) called
"Exec Password Policy".
I've set the [Computer Configuration]->[Windows Settings]->[Security
Settings]->[Account Policies]->[Password Policies] to be less restrictive in
"Exec Password Policy".
I create a new Organizational Unit called "Executives" and place the users
in there.
Now I "Link an Existing GPO..." on my "Executives" OU selecting the
"Executive Password Policy".

I try to reset one of the Executives passwords, but I am not allowed:
"Windows cannot complete the password change for Fred Executive because:
The password does not meet the password policy requirements.  Check the
minimum password length, password complexity and password history

Those are exactly what I have just turned off.  Perhaps you could point out
the error of my configuration.  I have setup a VM domain this morning to do

 - Paul -