[gptalk] Desktop Wallpaper Security Risk?

  • From: "Des Flynn" <Des.Flynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 13:49:52 -0400

As part of our secured desktops we use GPOs to lockdown the desktops and we
prevent users from changing their desktop wallpaper. This helps to ensure a
consistent look but the question often comes up "Is allowing users to change
their desktop background actually a security risk?"

Users want the ability to customize at least this part of their work
environment. I'm just not sure what holes this might expose. Any thoughts?

 Des Flynn

 System Administrator

 ITS - User Services, Brock University

 St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, L2S 3A1

 PH: 905 688-5550 x 4588

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail, including any attachments,
may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail
and immediately delete this message and its contents.  Thank you.