[gptalk] Default Domain and Default DC GPO migration

  • From: "SCOTT KLASSEN" <klas9574@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:32:21 -0500

Here's a question for either those more knowledgeable or with a more robust
testing infrastructure.

I'm at the start of migrating my environment to Server 2008.  Although not
necessary, I've spent some time converting most of my GPOs to the ADMX format
for the decrease in space usage and bandwidth usage during replication.  I now
only have the default domain and default dc GPOs left.  I know that after the
migration, these two will remain as ADM files.  Here's my question:  After I
have my DC's upgraded to 2008, if I then run dcgpofix /ignoreschema, will the
GPO's be recreated as ADMX or ADM?  My other idea was to create a temporary
test domain with a single 2008 VM DC, just to back up these two in ADMX format,
then delete the original ADM ones from my production domain, restoring the ADMX
ones from the test domain.  If anyone has a better plan for switching these
without messing up the special properties associated with them, I'm open to
suggestions.

Scott Klassen