[gptalk] Default Domain Policy corrupt, with 13

  • From: <toddblake@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:55:21 -0700

Hi everyone.

I have a problem with our "Default Domain Policy", specifically the user
portion.  We are running both W2K and W2K3 DC's in W2K Native mode.  Below
message appears while trying to edit the GPO on a W2K3 GPMC box.

START*****************
the file
"\\...\policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\User\registry.pol" is not
in a valid format. The file might be corrupt. Use Group Policy Object Editor to
reconfigure
the settings in this extension.
END********************

Below is from the Application Log,
START***********************
EventID 1000
Windows cannot access the registry information at
\\...\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\User\registry.pol with
(13).
END*************************

Is there any way I can recover from this, I don't have a useable system state
and this has been happening for months.  I've googled and come up with alot of
hits but none with the (13) error.

Would it be possible for me to rename the registry.pol file and then fire up
GPMC and see if it notices there is no registry.pol, would this create a blank
one for this GP?

Or should I run "DCGPOFIX.EXE /TARGET:DOMAIN" on a W2K3 box and have it
recreate the default policy and then add all the modifications back in?

At this point I can't edit the gpo, it comes back with an "unspecified erro"

Thanks for any suggestions.....

Todd