[gptalk] Re: Custom ADM policy for Terminal Services sessions only

  • From: hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:15:42 +0000

Why not simply use a vb script mapping printers to a group with the option
"case" instead of going all the trouble of making policies for this.
use it has loginscript with the loopback policy on your terminal server.

From: jhh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Custom
ADM policy for Terminal Services sessions onlyDate: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:10:09

Hi Scott,
My first choice would be to use Group Policy Preferences (GPP) – ADMs are
history J
You can use Item Level Targeting to make sure the printers are mapped to the
users only on given computers.
To read more on GPP you could check out these articles:
I hope that helps out – good luck!
Best regards
Jakob H. Heidelberg
MVP:Enterprise Security

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Scott BaileySent: 12. april 2008 04:03To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Custom ADM policy for Terminal Services
sessions only

Hello All,

I have created a custom ADM file for mapping network printers for our Windows
2003 terminal services.

1. I want the policy to only get applied to the terminal services sessions and
not the workstations the end users is logging on to. It is currently doing both.

2. Is there a way to modify the KEYNAME using the GPMC instead of coding it in
the ADM file for future need of printer change outs.

I have 4 different printers so I have 4 ADM files, I cannot use loopback

Thanks for any input on this!

CLASS USERCATEGORY "Windows Components"CATEGORY "Terminal Services"CATEGORY
"Custom Installed Printers"

KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows"

POLICY "PrinterName"

 #if version >= 4 SUPPORTED !!TS_SUPPORTED_Win2k3_Sp1 #endif

EXPLAIN !!PrinterDef   PART "Default Printer"   EDITTEXT   DEFAULT
"\\Server\PrinterName,winspool,Ne11:"   VALUENAME "Device"   END PART

   KEYNAME "Printers\Connections\,,Server,PrinterName"   PART "Provider"
EDITTEXT   DEFAULT "win32spl.dll"   VALUENAME "Provider"   END PART

   PART "Server"   EDITTEXT   DEFAULT "\\Server"   VALUENAME "Server"   END PART

[strings]User="User"TS_SUPPORTED_Win2k3_Sp1="At least Microsoft Windows Server
2003 with SP1"PrinterDef="Definition
DISCLAIMER:This electronic mail message and any attached files contain
information intended for the exclusive use of the intended addressee and may
contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution
of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. Please
notify sender if you are an unintended recipient and delete the original
message without making copies. Thank you.