[gptalk] Re: Copy files with Group Policy Preferences

  • From: sunshine.baines@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 03:12:38 +0000

Sweet.  I will tinker with it tomorrow.

Thanks

From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 19:13:19
To:"gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gptalk] Re: Copy files with Group Policy Preferences

I had problems with that as well earlier this week (first time use...just never
needed to use *.* before this). Apparently, the syntax has to be "very"
specific on both the source and target. Instead of installing the GPMC scripts
as a WMI tool, having that be part of our server 2008 Build image, and
constantly having to 'test' it as an independent component of the build, I just
wanted to copy the GPMC Scripts there directly. Perfect example of this kind of
use as a Preference. After about 16 tries using various syntax examples, here's
what I got to work:

Source:
\\zzz.tl.xxx.com\SYSVOL\zzz.tl.xxx.com\Policies\{FFAD367D-3FE3-447C-AE20-30FDFE1B3956}\Machine\Files\xxx
 Group Policy\GPMC Sample Scripts\*.*

Destination: %ProgramFilesDir%\xxx Group Policy\GPMC Sample Scripts\

Took me a while to understand that to build it correctly, I had to specify a
"source" location that contains at least one file (a parent folder doesn’t seem
to work…I had wanted to use… …30FDFE1B3956}\Machine\Files\*.* and that didn’t
work, but I need to test some more). As well, I had to specify the full path of
the destination folder and (TADA) use a trailing backslash before things
started to work correctly. Also note that I just wanted to place the files
within the GPO for ease of access. That’s why the use of the fully qualified
UNC path. That path is available almost from the get-go after the device is
booted and the network started (zzz – domain name, tl – test lab, zzz – my
company name).

Try this and let me know if it works for you. Good Luck.

Here's the report…

Preferences
Windows Settings
Files
File (target path: %ProgramFilesDir%\xxx Group Policy\GPMC Sample Scripts\)
The following settings have applied to this object. Within this category,
settings nearest the top of the report are the prevailing settings when
resolving conflicts.
Copy GPMC Scripts
 Winning GPO EntGPO WS8 DSP
Result: Success
General
 Action Create
Properties
 Source file(s)
\\zzz.tl.xxx.com\SYSVOL\zzz.tl.xxx.com\Policies\{FFAD367D-3FE3-447C-AE20-30FDFE1B3956}\Machine\Files\xxx
 Group Policy\GPMC Sample Scripts\*.*
 Destination file %ProgramFilesDir%\xxx Group Policy\GPMC Sample Scripts\
Attributes
 Read-only Disabled
 Hidden Disabled
 Archive Enabled

Jerry Cruz | Group Policies Product Manager | Boeing IT