[gptalk] Confused about Vista Group Policies

  • From: "Kopenski, Jack" <Jack.Kopenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:22:45 -0400

Sometimes the light has trouble getting through to my brain, so I need
some enlightenment about how Vista Group Policies work while in a mixed
(XP - Vista) environment.  I see there is some new local vs. domain
storage issues also.

My company is just starting to deploy some Vista machines for our
developers and I thought we might want to add some device installation

I currently have a "master workstations settings" GPO which all existing
workstations invoke and has mostly user configuration stuff.  Now with
the new Vista settings can I simply use my Vista machine to enable the
Vista specific setting in the computer configuration section?   Or, must
I create an entirely new "Vista GPO" for this?

Once I update it with the Vista settings does the ADMX file get stored
in with my existing GPO, because I don't see the ADMX files on my DC
now, only on my Vista machine.

If I use my XP machine to view the GPO I will not see the Vista specific
settings I configured with my Vista machine, correct?

addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it
to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and
then destroy it.