[gptalk] Re: Configuring Power Options with GPP

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 19:22:12 -0500

Darren,

I just found this in the Help documentation under "Configure a Windows
XP Power Scheme Item":

--------------------
Additional considerations

If a user Power Scheme item processes after a computer Power Scheme
item, user power scheme settings replace the active settings, which may
have been made active previously by a computer or user Power Scheme
item.

The local administrator and power users can manually change their power
scheme settings using the control panel; other users cannot. Regardless,
the settings configured for users become active when they log on and
remain so even after they log off.

Settings applied to the computer become active when the computer is
started without a logged-on user. However, Power Scheme preference
items, which support Group Policy background refreshes, can reset power
scheme settings when computer policy is applied without a logged-on
user.
--------------------

So based on what this is saying, there really is no difference in
applying settings to the computer vs. the user except that computer
settings take effect immediately. Once a user policy is applied, it
stays in effect after logoff and the computer policies aren't applied
again until the machine is rebooted. However, it still doesn't explain
why the computer policy is getting applied at background refresh while a
user is still logged on. That, I think, is the main problem here.

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information
Technology | I N T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 | Fax
405.553.5687 | http://www.integrisok.com