[gptalk] Configuring Power Options with GPP

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 13:51:13 -0500

Hi All,

Been messing with the Power Options in GPP and am running into a
problem. I've used the same settings (in PolicyMaker) to do basic power
management before but haven't run into this issue.

I have a GPO at the top of my hierarchy where I have configured both the
computer and user side of the GPO to set the active Power Scheme to
"Always On". Further down on a sub OU containing user objects, I have
configured just the USER side to set the scheme to "Presentation". Now
here is the weird part; immediately after logging on with a user account
in the sub OU, the Power Scheme is set to "Presentation" as I have
desired it to. However, when the background policy refresh occurs it is
getting set back to "Always On" for some reason.

When I do an GP Results Wizard query, the user side settings from both
GPOs are present with a message stating:

                "The following settings have applied to this object.
Within this category, settings nearest the top of the report are the
prevailing settings when resolving conflicts."

"Always On" is listed first but I don't understand where that priority
is being set since the "Presentation" scheme is being set in a GPO with
higher precedence.

With the EZ GPO tool from the EPA, anything you configured on the
computer side only applied when no user was logged on to the machine.
User side policy only affected logged on users. Does this same concept
apply to GPP? If not, I guess I don't understand GPP Power Options as
well as I thought I did. J Someone care to explain the difference
between configuring schemes on the computer side vs. the user side? What
kind of behavior is to be expected when schemes are configured for both?

Regards,

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information
Technology | I N T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 | Fax
405.553.5687 | http://www.integrisok.com <http://www.integrisok.com/>

protection under state and federal law. This information is intended to be for
the use of the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of
this information is prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
electronic mail (reply).