[gptalk] Computer Versus User configuration...

  • From: "Deepu" <yoursfren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 25 Sep 2008 09:51:38 -0000

Hi,

Can anyone clarify when to user computer configuration and when to use user configuration of any group policy. (Apart from this, that the computer configuration GPO processes at system startup and the user configuration processes at user login.)

Lets take an example: If i want to use Software Restriction policy, i can implement it in computer as well as user configuration. So,my question is how to decide whether to apply it on user configuration or computer configuration.

In my scenario,i have two separate ou's one for computers and one for users. so, if i apply the SRP in the computer ou, then also its the same thing. While if i'll apply to the users ou in the users configuration it's almost the same thing. so, how should i decide where to implement it.

Is there any specific thing, which suggests when to use computer configuration and when to use user configuration. I am confused... Even if we talk about administrative templates, the same can be used in both computer and user configuration. And applying the template anywhere gives the same result... So ???????????

Thanks...