[gptalk] Re: Complete list of all available CSEs and their functionality

  • From: "Hendrikus Terwint \(SEDIRSI-Prestataire\)" <terwint.hendrikus.prestataire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:08:12 +0200

Thanks much, Thorbjörn.

In terms of GP Performance Optimization (related to CSE processing), I'm a bit
confused now. Having read Darren's "Design Recommendations for Optimal GP
Performance" in:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc137720.aspx

- the fact that there is no concept of per-CSE versioning within Group Policy
processing :

"... If you are making frequent changes to your GPOs, keep in mind the effect
mentioned earlier, where a change to one CSE can impact the processing of all
CSEs. To that end, if you plan to make frequent changes to, for example,
registry policy, it makes more sense to put your registry policy into
functional GPOs (GPOs that only do registry policy) as that will isolate other
CSEs from processing when changes occur."

à In Darren's example above, the so called "registry policy" could be anything?

à It now seems to me that the "Registry CSE" is almost always involved anyway.
Does it still make sense to analyze my GPOs on a CSE-base and split them up?
Maybe it's worth to figure out which CSEs do not depend on the Registry CSE, so
we can at least configure them ("Scripts" ? "Folder Redirection"?

 "Software Installation"?) in separate GPOs, in order to avoid other CSEs to be
"woken up" when changes occur in settings processed by, lets say,
"independent-CSEs"? However, these settings don't change that often in our
environment... Maybe the kind of GP Performance Optimization as mentioned in
the article above would only "really" be true if there were many more CSEs than
just the 12 CSEs (which is the number of CSEs I've got currently) ? Maybe it's
because there will be many more CSEs with GP Preferences installed?

Thanks again very much for your explanation!

Hendrikus