[gptalk] Re: BeyondTrust Privilege Manager

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:10:24 -0700

It depends upon the exploits Jamie. If I remember correctly from when I
asked about this a while ago, Privilege Manager has some protection from
cross-process injection. So if the vulnerability requires access from
outside its process, they can protect against that. But its probably best to
ask about this scenario as there are many ways to exploit a vulnerability.
Also, its still much better than loosening system security for all processes
in my mind.

In terms of getting vendors to "do the right thing", just for perspective, I
was having this same conversation with vendors 10 years ago when I was doing
IT. It is happening, but its glacial.

Darren