[gptalk] Re: Best practice for software installation. Single or multiple GPOs

  • From: "Williams, Chris" <Chris.Williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:34:57 -0000

I would say it also depends on your LAN/WAN structure

We have over 100 sites with WAN links from 256Kb to 200Mb and 5000
clients PC 's, we deploy from a single installation source to all these
sites.  We have also set the bandwidth threshold for deployments at
200Kb.

We use both methods, our main core apps are all deployed via a single
GPO, this includes Flash, Shockwave, Sun Java, Citrix Web Client,  3
versions of Oracle JInitiator, Acrobat Reader plus our in-house stuff
etc.  We also use targeted GPO's to deploy packages to specific PC's as
required.

Doing things this way does have some drawbacks, deploying to all PC's
means that there is one big hit on the network and clients when we roll
out a new application to all clients.  By putting each app into its own
GPO you can control the rollout by filtering the GPO by group membership
until most of PC's have received the app and then change the filtering
so everyone gets it.

Hope this helps

Chris