[gptalk] Re: Authentication

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:42:49 -0700

yeah- looks like DFS may be your options but 30 minutes makes me think there
is something else really wrong.

I would create a test user just like your Texas users- login at Texas to
make sure all is well and then log the user in on the Far east workstations-
use DameWare or remote desktop or whatever your company uses.

just like Darren stated- just mapping drives should not be causing that long
of a delay- are any applications running or getting called as part of the
script- say to check for AV installation or something like that.

Once you recreate the slow logon for your test users- drop him from all
GPO's and scripts to see if that is the issue and add him back to each GPO
one by one. sounds like a daunting task but I can't really think of another
way to isolate it.

What do you get for a ping response to the USA file server from a far east
workstation- I would also wonder if you are encountering maybe DNS time outs
followed by NetBIOS Wins queries. If your ping response time- for both the
USA server short name and long name resolve fast and the latency is less
than 100ms this should not be the cause.

Are these users taking their texas laptops to the Far East offices or are
they using Far East machines that may be running additional Computer GPOs
with loopback enabled along with other checks. What does the GPresults show
on the affected workstations?

tough problem.

Omar

  _____