[gptalk] Re: Applying GPO to a Local User Account

  • From: Matt Cross <mrforklift@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 09:50:21 -0400

That's the other catch -- we will be deploying about 400 machines during the first wave and the overall project will have about 2000 machines.

Basically my team has been tasked to cram as much lockdown stuff in the GPO because there have been issues with the reg hacks that the image deployment group has been making; they also want to cut down the amount of time that a person spends getting a machine deployed. These particular images are constantly changing due to revisions from development, so it's not like we can freeze an image -- we also can't freeze the project until an image is frozen. See why I am pulling my hair out?

The closest I see to automating from the domain-based GPO is to put the registry changes in the GPO for that one user or running a script that automatically applies the registry updates.

Darren Mar-Elia wrote:
You could use the local GPO for the local user account. It should apply just
fine. Populating the local GPO can be done remotely using gpeditor, assuming
you don't have to do it across many machines. If you do, then you can copy
the various parts of the GP settings from the domain-based GPO to do this.