[gptalk] Re: Applying GPO to a Local User Account

  • From: Omar Droubi <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:04:56 -0700

Additionally in this situation- this local account would need elevated
privileges as this user would most likely need to access files in the
domain\user profile directory folder like the My Docs and/or desktop.

So in that scenario- it seems like this account would need to be a local admin
and doing restrictions may be tough.

Sorry to not offer quick alternate solution- other than vista which can do this

One way I handle this for a few clients is that we have a secondary admin
account but we only give out the pw when the client calls in with cached mode
issues- so we can check the networking settings---- Also we ensure that we can
initiate a VPN session for any user to allow the user to log on to the VPN
before attempting the Windows logon (using the dial up networking checkbox and
ensure that all VPN entries are defined for all users or for cisco VPN there is
a check box to allow cisco VPN logon before windows logon)

The vpn thing works when the remote cached user has hit the 30 day mark for our
forest- then they connect to vpn- logon to windows-reset the number of days for
cached logon and they even get the latest GPOs downloaded (if we override the
slow link detection where applicable)

Omar Droubi
omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
650-726-0300