[gptalk] Re: Applying Computer Settings... delay

  • From: rpo <rpo8373@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:53:42 +1000

darren is right when he makes mention of drivers possibly being the
cause of start times.

'applying computer settings' takes minutes here also. when i analysed
the userenv.log, i noticed there was a 2-3 min delay between
establishing the link speed and actually processing gpos. further
analysis revealed that during this 2min period windows is loading
essential processes like svchost.exe and spoolsv.exe. it also loads
the profiles for system and localservice. now while this kind of stuff
is unavoidable, i also noticed that 3rd party apps like to load their
processes at this time also. in our case, mcafee and sms2003.

i did a test of removing those two products and observed startup times
reduce by a couple mins. what i would suggest is use a product like
policy reporter from sysprosoft to help you analyse the userenv.log
and idenitfy where your slowness ocurrs.

unfortunately if you see the same problem as me, it's likely there's
little you can do. as removing antivirus software and sms clients just
cannot be done.