[gptalk] Applying Computer Settings... delay

  • From: "Doyle, Ryan W." <rwdoyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:06:17 -0600

Greetings,

We have been battling a very frustrating problem where some (not all) of
our PCs in the corporate offices are experiencing a 120 second delay at
the "Applying Computer Settings..." portion of the boot-up process.
This portion of boot-up is prior to the user logging on, so it is not
related to user policies.  However, I do believe this is where the PC
(Windows XP SP2) is attempting to locate a DC and apply machine GPOs.

This problem is especially frustrating because we can take a troublesome
PC and reproduce the problem over and over.  However, various
troubleshooting techniques will seemingly fix the problem and then we
can never reproduce it on that PC.  For instance, if we set all 3rd
party services to "disabled" and reboot, the problem goes away.
Re-enable the services and the problem does NOT come back.

Similarly, we've found that if we reorganize the "Network Provider
Order" in the advanced network configuration the problem will go away.
However, after restoring the provider order to the original order, the
problem does NOT come back.

We've engaged Microsoft for help, but they seem stumped, as well.  So,
I'm reaching out to this forum to see if anyone has seen an issue like
this or may have any idea which may lead us toward a root cause.

Many thanks for any thoughts!

Ryan Doyle
Marathon Oil Corporation