[gptalk] Re: "Always use local ADM files..." setting oddness

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:28:19 +1000

Hi Tom & Tony

My take on this is slightly different. I prefer to disable  "automatic
Updates of ADM files" and disable the "always use Local ADM Files for Group
Policy Editor" but only have those Templates in the Policy that you want to
use. This has the following advantages:_

*       Limited bloat since there aren't many ADM files in the Policies
*       Everyone sees the same thing on all machines
*       You can have different versions of the same ADM file in different
*       Minimal display inside GPEDIT
*       Other people cannot accidentally change your ADM files

Of course you don't have multi language support though.

When you look at ADMX files it moves in the direction of a single set of
ADMX files used by all policies on the domain. You can't load a subset for
each policy. This will give you Tom's problem of a very cluttered display.
It also means if you have one domain and a central store of ADMX files, it
is a bit difficult to test ADMX files, since if you get one wrong, no one
can look at any admx settings until you fix it. Perhaps Darren could tell us
if there is a registry setting to select a different location for ADMX files
for testing. But then, everyone does there testing in a separate domain ..

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-

ADM Template Editor:-

Policy Log Reporter(Free)