[gptalk] Allowing FlashPlayer

  • From: Shane Williford <shane.williford@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:53:12 -0500

Hi All...
I'm not sure if any of you experienced this in the past, but there was an Excel
spreadsheet that was being passed around via email that had games inbedded into
it using Flash (Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, and a couple others). As such, we used GP
to not allow users to be able to use Flash. Since there hasn't been a problem
with that lately, and the fact that more and more websites are using Flash we
have come to the point to allow Flash again. We disallowed it by setting
permissions on the Flash folder using GP. I have since changed the permissions
accordingly, but am still having a 2nd 'ary problem. When going to a site with
Flash, users are prompted to download Flash, by getting the ActiveX bar at the
top of their IE window. They click on it and prompted to download/install Flash
but since they're not local admins (only power users) they still can't see the
web page correctly. Is there way using GP to allow ActiveX to automatically
install (which may be a risk) or any way around this that you guys are aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Shane M. Williford
Systems Administrator
MCSE, MCSA Sec, Sec+, Net+, A+
Mazuma Credit Union
9300 Troost
Kansas City, MO 64131
816-361-4194 x6012

Notice: The information transmitted in this e-mail may contain confidential
and/ or legally privileged information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) named above. Review, use, disclosure, distribution, or forwarding
of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s)
is prohibited by law and may subject them to criminal or civil liabilities.
Statements and opinion expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of
Mazuma Credit Union. All e-mail communications through Mazuma's corporate email
system are subject to archiving and review by someone other than the recipient.
immediately and delete/destroy any and all copies of the original message from
any computer or network system.