[gptalk] Re: All Vista users can see your OU structure by default - and download GPO's to their local hard drive

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:15:10 -0700

Mark-
The ability for regular users to read and backup GPOs using GPMC has been
there all along. I actually wrote about this is in the whitepaper I
mentioned (which is now out at
http://www.desktopstandard.com/pdf/wp-How_Secure_Is_Group_Policy.pdf). It is
really hard to get around as well. If a user needs to process a GPO, you
can't really permission SYSVOL to prevent them from reading certain files.
However, it does bring up the point that for certain organizations, it may
be prudent to always remove the Authenticated Users Read ACE from any GPOs
that should not be read by any user, and that can be targeted to a specific
user group.

I can't speak to the ntbackup issue or the app you mentioned, but I suspect
a lot of apps may either break or require privilege escalation when Vista
ships. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. There's so many lousy
apps out there that require you to run as admin that its about time they
were forced to move in the right direction. Having users as local admin is
just a recipe for disaster these days.

Darren

  _____