[gptalk] Re: Admin Policies?

  • From: hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:27:52 +0000

It is not a Terminal server issue. The issue is even Administrators are getting
this specific policy. So remove the policy and install your stuf. then link the
policy back.

Subject: [gptalk] Re: Admin Policies?Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:59:25 -0500From:
sgarrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes.  My TS is in install mode when I get the error.  Thanks for the help!
I’ll search under other TS issues.

From: Darren Mar-Elia [mailto:darren@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008
3:17 PMTo: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Admin Policies?

That looks like a TS-specific message. I’m not a big TS expert but I know that
TS has to be in a certain mode to allow app installation. Don’t know if this
helps but check it out:

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/15020/how-do-i-install-applications-for-use-with-terminal-server.html

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Savanah GarrisonSent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:04 PMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Admin Policies?

Well, that look like it was definitely part of the problem.  I set everything
under Windows Installer back to “Not Configured”.  Now I’m getting this error:

As I mentioned… I am the network administrator…

From: Darren Mar-Elia [mailto:darren@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008
2:10 PMTo: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Admin Policies?

Savanah-
My guess is that you have a per-COMPUTER policy that is preventing installs.
What Admin. Template policies are being set on that TS box on a per-computer
basis? Given the fact that the Popup dialog is coming from “Windows Installer”,
check under Computer Configuration\Admin Templates\Windows Components\Windows
Installer and see if you aren’t restricting all application installations via
Installer.

Darren

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Savanah GarrisonSent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 12:04 PMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Admin Policies?

The gp results wizard said my policy was not applying to the administrator
account.  I also checked the “Apply Group Policy” settings.  Neither Allow nor
Deny was checked.  I checked Deny, and did a gp update, but no change.

I finally just unlinked the policy, and did the install from the local machine
:(   Would very much like to be able to install things remotely while the
policy is in effect… I checked the registry of the terminal server and it IS
set to allow admin remote installation, but that screen still pops up when I
try.

From: Nelson, Jamie [mailto:Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008
9:34 AMTo: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Admin Policies?

Run the GP Results Wizard in the GPMC console for your profile on that machine
and check what policies you’re getting. You may need an explicit deny on the
GPO so Administrators don’t apply the policy.

Jamie Nelson | Infrastructure Consultant | BI&T Operations | Devon Energy |
Work: 405.552.8054 | http://www.dvn.com

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Savanah GarrisonSent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 9:28 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Admin Policies?

Whenever I try to install a new program on my Terminal Server, a screen comes
up that says the “Administrator has policies in effect to prevent this
installation”.  However, I am the administrator, and I’m logged in as such.

My GPO is set to not include administrators, and is set to allow admins to
remotely install programs.  However, I have tried remotely and locally, but get
the same error.

Any ideas?

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: This electronic transmission and any documents or other
writings sent with it constitute confidential information intended only for the
named recipient.  If you have received this communication in error, do not read
it. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error,
then delete the message.  Any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking
of any action concerning the contents of this communication or any
attachment(s) by anyone other than the named recipient is strictly prohibited.

Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only for
the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential, and may be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of
all or any portion of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from your system.