[gptalk] Re: Admin Policies?

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 07:27:24 +1000

Hi Savanagh,

A bit of a long shot here, but it sounds like your Default User profile and
default ntuser.pol file may be out of synch. Effectively your default User
profile has the policy enabled but your ntuser.Pol file in the default
profile doesn't have an entry saying to remove it. I am not sure what policy
you have enabled to stop installations, but what ever it is, find the
registry key involved and look for it in ntuser.pol. The file is a bit hard
to read, but if you take a copy and open it in notepad you should be able to
read it. If you are interested, I can send you a little test program that I
am developing that reads the ntuser.Pol file and displays it in a more
readable form.

To fix it, you need to copy across the ntuser.pol file from a "default" user
to the default profile. Alternatively, go through the registry on the
default profile and remove all of the POLICY related keys. The proper fix is
to ensure that when you build your default profile, you make sure you take
across the Ntuser.pol file at that time

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir