[gptalk] ADMX and Co-existence with Pre-Vista/2k8

  • From: "Shudnow, Elan" <Elan.Shudnow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:25:00 -0600

So let's say I decide to implement Server 2008 and will be co-existing with
Server 2003 for a while and 50% of my clients are XP and 50% are Vista.

Vista and Server 2008 support ADMX and I know I'll need to use Server 2008 to
manage the ADMX files.  My question is, if I use Server 2008 to create a GPO, I
know it will be created in ADMX and if I use Server 2003 to create a GPO, it'll
be in ADM.

My question is, if I do use Server 2008 to create the ADMX at the root of the
domain so it applies to all computers in the entire domain, how will the XP
clients and Server 2003 servers look at this ADMX?  Will it just ignore it?  Is
there a patch to make Server 2003 and XP machines understand how to apply ADMX?
 What is the end result?

Thanks,
Elan