[gptalk] Re: ADM problem

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:32:23 -0700

Doug-
I'm with you all the way up to, "will be applied only once and are not
enforced via refresh or reboot". This isn't the case. Admin. Template
preferences act like policies with respect to refreshes (foreground or
background). If I change a preference from enabled to disabled, then that
change will get picked up on the next GP refresh. I think what you are
referring to is that if I change a preference from enabled or disabled to
"Not Configured", then that registry value won't be removed from the
registry like a policy value would. That is the phenomenon we all know and
love called 'tattooing".

IE Maintenance preferences are a bit different than Admin. Template
preferences. IE Maintenance preferences say, "set this IE preference once on
a given user and then never set it again".