[gptalk] Re: ADM problem

  • From: "Tim Bolton" <jsclmedave@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:44:49 -0500

We tried this numerous times, but certain USB sticks were still able
to load and were accessible.

hopefully Darren has the magic bullet for this.  I have heard of shops
actually putting epoxy in the ports...

We use a product that took care of this.  If you want info on it
please email me direct.

I am very curious to see if there is a workable solution in GP...

TB

On 8/22/06, Gray Troutman <jgraytroutman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey folks,
I've implemented a few custom ADMs without any difficulty.  I have one,
however, that doesn't seem to want to work properly.  It's one I found it
over at thelazyadmin.com .  The ADM is supposed to disable write access to
USB devices.  When I manually create the key and dword, everything works
fine, but when I try to implement it through a GPO, it creates the key and
dword, but doesn't place the appropriate value (1) into the registry.  Here
are the contents of the ADM:

CLASS MACHINE
CATEGORY "Removeable Storage Write Access"
 POLICY "USB Write Access"
  KEYNAME
"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies"
   VALUENAME "WriteProtect"
   VALUEON NUMERIC 1
   VALUEOFF NUMERIC 0
 END POLICY
END CATEGORY;

As an additional note, I'll mention that this is the only machine specific
policy I'm trying to enforce within this GPO, everything else is on the user
side.  I had thought that maybe I had instituted a policy that was keeping
the key from being generated, but everything show up except for the
appropriate value.

Thanks in advance,
Gray

--
Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus
handicapped. - Elbert Hubbard