[gptalk] Re: AD Consolidation

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:48:52 -0800

Dave,

Since you posted on the GP list:

One big thing to keep in mind that when transitioning computer and user
accounts between domains the end users and workstations will now have the new
domain's group policies applied to them.

Make sure before you migrate the user and computer accounts that you create and
link the GPOs that you want applied to those objects on the OU's that will be
used for the destination domain objects.

If you are using ADMT 3.0- you will need to make sure that on the source domain
and destination domain OUs that you set the correct Windows Firewall settings
using GPOs or if you are using a 3rd party FW on the workstations or servers
that are migrating- that the ADMT computer migration and security translation
tool can communicate with the machines before and after migration otherwise all
your results will be "FAILED"

I have done domain consolidations within a single or between separate forests
many times and there are many gotchas- and GPO application and delegation of
administration(which it appears you are after) are usually the 1st thing that
breaks-

Do let this happen to you- take the time to lab the whole thing up.

If you need to hire an outside consulting firm-I know a real good-one :)-

If you have any more questions- feel free to contact me offline using my email
address.

Omar