[gpsbug] WSSC Spring Series - Race 1

White Shoal Sailing Club finally got its Spring Series going with a 6 mile
race sailed in varying conditions on Sunday, April 18th.  Following a
staggered
start format, the small fleet got started to the NE against winds NNE at
about 8
knots.
About an hour into the race, the wind died almost completely, leaving the
fleet barely making headway en-route to the 2nd mark.  The committe was
about 10
minutes from abandoning the race when a wind line began to appear from the
South,
foretelling the arrival at last of the promised SSW 10-15.  As that breeze
reached the fleet, mark 2 became a power reach, and the last leg an exciting
beat
to the mouth of the Pagan.  John Wandling, Rebecca J, finished first while
Ed
Zurey driving Lady Jacqueline finshed 2nd.  Alexis, well-sailed and
skippered by Richard Cassell finished third ,coming on strong in the last
leg after an unfortunate grounding cost her about 10 minutes.

We are expecting 6 or 7 boats next week.  I'll start posting results and
scores on the website as soon as I can (not tonight).  See ya on the water.

John