[gpsbug] Re: Results of First Race

  • From: "John" <j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gpsbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:08:56 -0400

Folks,

As I said in my note, section 4 of the rules of racing covers this situation
adequately.  We don't need and never have had any kind of 10 minute rule.
This is fun racing and I am assuming (and hope) that we all follow the rules
of racing...otherwise the results don't mean much.

I have been asked about engines a couple of times, and I have always, I
think, responded by saying that you can run your engine up to the
preparatory signal.  Some people might be confusing the warning signal (10
minutes in our case), with the preparatory signal (5 minutes).

Be that as it may, if you have a question or are not sure about something,
please feel free to send me a note.

If you have a legitimate complaint against a particular competitor, the
proper thing to do is to register a protest with the race committee (me).  I
will evaluate the complaint and, if it has merit, schedule a hearing,
appointing someone not involved in the incident to hear the complaint and
decide the issue.

I hope this thing does not get so cutthroat that we have to get the rulebook
out after every race, because if it does, I'll get out of it, myself.

The rules of racing are available free with a US Sailing Membership, are in
most libraries, and often can be found online.  We have only to follow about
30 pages of them.

Maybe I should re-run my racing seminar this Winter?

Meanwhile, as the kids say, let's chill.

See ya on the water.

John