[gps-talkusers] Re: what's in a name?

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 21:02:48 +0100

Richard,

Agreed that a huge number of blind folks cannot afford this stuff but even those that can aford it don't necessarily recognize the value.

Never give up on the possibility that these things could be underwritten. Afordability is a major challenge we need to keep working on.

Mike,

As much as I agree with your statements about the value of independence that
GPS can offer, and certainly agree that Sendero's GPS solution is superior
to all other GPS options---sighted or blind---I wonder how many blind people
are living above the poverty level, which is an annual income of $10,830 as
of 2009 for a single individual and just over $22,000 for a family of four.

The Sendero products are simply the Cadillac of GPS, but a lot of folks are
living with a Volks Wagon budget.

If I were in charge, every blind person with the skills to use GPS would be
given one, or have it subsidized based on their income.  After all, GPS for
the blind is comparable to street signs for the sighted.  But, that won't
ever happen in this country so the issues of cost are always going to be a
point of contention.

Richard
 "Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with
it."  -- Jane Wagner