[gps-talkusers] Re: what do we really want from GPS?

  • From: "Scott E Ford" <w8sef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:19:29 -0400

Hello everyone,
        There is something that I would really like to see on the Braille
note GPS.  That is a hot key to allow you to keep the GPS running while you
access other applications on the unit.
        I have a funny little story why this feature would help me.  I was
going to goalball practice this weekend.  I was getting a ride from a
friends wife who has never been to the place before.  We were on the highway
and there was a particular turn that she was un sure of, so I had my GPS
with a route to the destination running.  We were talking and a subject came
up where I needed to get information from a document on my PK.  I proceeded
to shut down the gps and go into the document, and tell them about the
information.  We continued to talk for a time.  Then my friends wife
mentioned that it seemed like we were not going in the right direction.  I
realized that I had forgotten to restart my GPS.  I started it and checked
the route realizing that we had gone past the turn.  I recalculated the
route.  We took the next exit and come to find out we really did not go to
far out of the way.  In fact I do not think that we really even had to back
track.  The GPS worked exilently I just need to get use to navigating.  I
have gone so long just being a passenger. Let me tell ya it is an awesome
feeling to be able to provide necessary information when you are trying to
get some where, that you have never been to before.
Scott